It is very important to act quickly when involved in a  motor vehicle collision.

Report the incident to the police immediately if anyone is injured on the scene, if any driver does not have documentation such as a driver’s license, registration or insurance, if one or more of the vehicles is not drivable or if damage to all the vehicles and property appears to be more than $2,000.00. Auto body shops cannot make repairs in excess of $2,000.00, without a collision damage sticker from the police.

Contact and insurance information should be exchanged with all other parties involved. Collect information about the collision and if possible, take pictures.

The Collision Worksheet Form is a great tool to record all of this information.

Notify your insurance company in order to describe the accident, and understand any coverage limitations.

If you have minor injury classified as sprain, strain or whiplash (known as Whiplash Associated Disorder I  [“WAD I”] or Whiplash Associated Disorder II [“WAD II”) then further approval request by your practitioner to your insurance company is not required. Treatment for these type of injuries fits Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols Regulations reinforced under Alberta Minor Injury Regulation [“AMIR”].

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, provide your insurance with the AB-1 Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim Form within 30 days from the date of the accident.

It is important to establish contact with the other driver’s insurance, especially if they had caused the accident. Your own insurance company can provide appropriate payments for vehicle repair and ongoing treatment and then claim reimbursement from the other party’s insurance, or you can deal with reimbursement from the other party’s insurance from the start.


It is important to assess the extent of your injury, as compensation for WAD I and WAD II injuries is capped under AMIR with the inflationary cap set at $5,488 for 2022.


Let us PROTECT YOU from any further headaches from your motor vehicle accident and satisfying your interests.  We will collect all the relevant information and deal with your and third party’s insurance team to ensure that you are adequately compensated and reimbursed for your loss and out of pocket expenses.

If you have questions about your particular situation, please contact one of our personal injury lawyers today

Legal Problem? Better Call Steve